I am currently a junior in college and am not happy. During my whole high school life and my current college life I have found it difficult to make friends and the friends I do make are people that I would not consider that close. I think this can be attributed to the fact that I feel an "inner tightness" or anxiety when I talk to most of my peers. I never feel comfortable around them. The only times I this is not the case is when I am either drunk or smoking pot. When I go to a party I always have a feeling of being "out of place". For most people the socialization that occurs at these parties seems to occur naturally, this is not the case for me. It seems to always be a constant struggle to maintain a good conversation. Dr., I constantly feel alone, isolated and rejected. Do I need to see a professional? Dr., any help or advice you could give me would be a GREAT help! Thank you for your time.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.