I'm a 21 yr old student working in England. I'm not sure if I have a problem or not but I am very worried about myself. I have an overwhelming feeling of inferiority to everyone and this is effecting my social responses. Whenever anyone talks to me I become very defensive and would not even consider going up to someone to talk to them. Whenever I do get into a conversation I feel I must connect with the person and am very worried about anything I say. This means I'm always acting in social circumstances trying to impress rather than being myself. This makes me feel as though I am missing out on a very important part of life and that I'm running out of time. I have just moved away from home into a new environment but have been here for about 4 months I have very few friends and no regular social activities. I have discussed this with a close friend and my Dad but neither understand exactly what I'm trying to say. Can you help?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.